How to Remove Conficker Worm from Your PC
If you’re not aware of the conficker worm then I hope this article will help you overcome its negative effects on your computer. It commonly affects computers running on Windows OS and is considered much worse than a typical virus or malware since it can spread throughout a network. A PC that is infected with this type of worm can be manipulated by hackers who’ll have control over it. The hacker will have access your personal information and even download all sorts of online threats such as viruses and malware on your computer and spread these to other networks.
Conficker was one of the most notorious online threats which infect approximately nine million computers in order to attack businesses back in 2009. Now, you can see just how important it is to get rid of this worm as soon as you see the following signs on your PC:
1. You won’t be able to access security related sites or tools.
2. You will encounter time out errors when you attempt to access antivirus related resources or sites that contain a specific list of strings. Click here for the list of strings based on Microsoft’s Malware Protection Center.
3. This worm also stops essential system services running on your computer such as Windows updates, Window security center, Error reporting service, and Windows defender.
4. Most of the time you won’t have access to the directory administrator shared drives.
5. Several processes will have trouble running since they are terminated by this worm. Check out the list of processes here.
6. Registry values for Win Defender, Safe Mode, and Security Center are also deleted.
7. This type of threat connects with other PCs that are infected via P2P that’s why the network seems jammed.
The best thing to do in order to keep your computer away from being infected is by keeping your security software updated. Now, here are some basic troubleshooting steps in case your computer is infected with this worm.
1. It is recommended to modify some group policy settings in order to prevent the worm from spreading further. However, these policies need to be modified back to your default settings once your PC is free from the malware so Windows Automatic updates will work. Click here for steps on how to change your group policy settings.
2. Try removing the threat using your antivirus software, however, make sure it is indeed up-to-date. If this does not work then proceed downloading other malware removal tools like the conficker removal tool, Bit Defender’s Conficker Removal Tool, and W32.Downadup Removal Tool.
3. Allow any or all of these tools to run on your computer and follow the instructions for each tool as you go along to successfully remove the worm from your PC.
4. After successfully removing the threat, you will need to modify the group policy back to its default settings. See the document linked on step 1 for the instructions on how to do this.
If the following steps still won’t work in removing the malware from your computer. Speak with one of our experts and they’ll be happy to take care of this for you. Or if you have not started any of the troubleshooting steps indicated because you’re not comfortable removing conficker on your own, you can also chat with us so we can respond to your inquiries right away.