Sirefef – Effective Guide in Removing this Trojan
Sirefef is a common Trojan that reroutes your search results to malicious websites that contain annoying adware. Another obvious indication that your computer is compromised is when you’ll start hearing suspicious noises on your PC that have nothing to do with the Windows program and processes. And if this wasn’t enough, your computer may also be vulnerable to unwanted intruders or hackers who are very interested in grabbing all types of personal information.
Here are some of the most important steps in effectively removing and protecting your computer from future encounters of the Sirefef Trojan types.
1. Try removing the Trojan using your updated antivirus software. This step, however, does not always work out since most of the time these types of Trojans are tricky because they tend to dwell within your computer’s system processes and files. If your antivirus is not up-to-date then more than likely your computer is already infected with this malware and would need to proceed to the next step.
2. Also expect that you are likely to face all types of unsolicited advertisements and pop-ups that you cannot seem to do any troubleshooting on your PC. You will then need to boot your computer into Safe Mode with Networking. In order to do this, restart your computer then simply press F8 key on your keyboard as soon as you see Windows starting. There will be a menu where you will need to select the option Safe Mode with Networking then hit Enter key.
3. Try downloading virus removal tools like ESET online scanner, Trend Micro Housecall, or Microsoft Safety Scanner and have them run a scan on your computer. These are just some tools that will help you scan then remove all sorts of malware but if you’re still having the same errors then it’s possible that some processes and files have not been removed completely from you PC. You can proceed to the next step to remove these remaining files manually.
4. The next step will be to remove the files and processes associated with this malware. In order to spot these, you will need to press ALT + CTRL + DEL to show the Task Manager window. Highlight the processes that contain Sirefef then select the End Process button so these would no longer run on your PC.
5. Press the Start menu button (orb icon) and on the Search box type Sirefef in order to search for the files that are associated with this Trojan. Make sure to delete these files completely so they’ll stop running on your computer.
6. You will need to modify the System Registry, however, take extra precaution since this step is not advisable to those who are not comfortable or have no experience in modifying the System Registry. Keep in mind that you only need to delete files related to this malware type and nothing more. To open the System Registry window, go to Start menu and type ‘regedit’ on the Search box then hit the Enter key.
7. You will then need to restart your computer normally to get out of Safe Mode.
8. Try running a scan again to ensure that all files related have been deleted and that you are no longer having the same errors or abnormalities on your computer.
If for any reason this malware has not been completely removed from you PC, CHAT with us or CALL us right away and we’ll be happy to take care of the Sirefef problem for you.