How to Locate the Network Key or Password for your Wireless Connection
How you store your wireless key or password must be taken seriously. You may consider this information confidential just like your email account password, credit card CVV, or ATM code. Your wireless password allows anyone with a laptop to access your network. Since this is the case, you will want to make sure that you have total control over your network and that only those who you trust with it have access to your wireless network. If you are not aware of your wireless key or password, this article will help you locate this information.
You may follow the steps below in order to retrieve your wireless password.
1. First go to Control Panel by clicking on Start>Control Panel>Network and Internet.
2. Next, go to Network and Sharing Center and left click to open it. You can also open the Network and Sharing Center window by doing a right click on your network (LAN) icon and choose Open Network & Sharing Center. Select the option View network status and tasks.
3. On the left menu, click on Manage Wireless Networks.
4. You may select the wireless network that you want to view the password, do a right click and then select Properties.
5. After which, click on Security tab to open the Wireless Network Properties dialog box.
6. In the Wireless Network Properties dialog box, you should be able to see your wireless key or password but it is shown in dots. To reveal the password, click on Show Characters check box. You may now take note of your wireless password for safe keeping. By the way, the icon before the check box or reveal password option means that this option is only for those users that have Administrator level access.
Note: Please be informed that the steps above will help you retrieve your own wireless password but not to hack into another wireless or wifi network.
You can also change the existing wireless password by following the same sequence of steps mentioned above. It is always advisable to use a stronger password to safeguard your wireless key. You can use a combination of upper and lower case alphabets, as well as, special characters and numbers to strengthen your password. This will protect your network from any unauthorized access and ensure that all devices connected to the network are from trusted parties only. And if you ever need assistance to locate the network key or password for your wireless connection, feel free to chat with us.